How To Care For Handmade Clothes

12:06 PM Posted by Three Yellow Starfish

I was going through one of my Sandi Henderson patterns the other day, when I came across the recommended care instructions. I thought they were worth sharing.

Henderson says "Making clothes is a lot of work! I don't suggest machine washing handmade items. This isn't because they aren't durable. On the contrary, if handmade items are made with care, they will generally last much longer than store bought items. Giving them proper care will only extend their life. I suggest hand washing and line drying. My favorite cleaner is a wonderful product called Soak. I highly suggest the "Flora" scent. It is my favorite!"

Soak is "modern care for fibers". It is designed for the most delicate items such as lingerie, scarfs, sweaters, baby clothes and other knit/handmade items. "Soak is gentle and deliciously scented with fabric-friendly ingredients that revitalize fibers so they look great and last longer." Although Soak is geared towards a hand wash, this product is also ideal for either hand or machine washing including High Efficiency Machines.



As you can see these come in a variety of different scents and sizes:

They even have labels for handmade clothing with care instructions! See here


You can find these great cleaners on the Soak's website or visit their blog
I think I'm going to order the "Citrus" scent and try one of these out for myself! Have you ever tried Soak? Do you have a favorite cleaning product you can't live without?

2 comments:

  1. Ashton said...

    I couldn't live without glass cleaner. Smudges drive me nuts... and with a toddler they are EVERYWHERE!

  2. Three Yellow Starfish said...

    LOL! My glass cleaner leaves streaks.. and you can see it in the light :( What kind do you use? Windex isnt cutting it for me.